This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp is cooked to an extra crispy outside you can enjoy by the handfuls. Pair it with your favorite dipping sauces for the ultimate appetizer.
This breaded shrimp recipe will go over exactly how to cook frozen shrimp in the air fryer, how to reheat them, and why air frying already cooked shrimp is healthier than other cooking methods (and the best).
The best part is it will work for both popcorn shrimp and jumbo breaded shrimp! Just let the frozen shrimp cook for an extra minute or two to heat it thoroughly.
I made this popcorn shrimp recipe in my 5.8 QT Cosori Air Fryer. The square basket allows more surface area to cook so this recipe can be cooked all at the same time.
What is Popcorn Shrimp?
Popcorn shrimp are small pieces of shrimp with the tails already cut off. They are battered and breaded, then fried. Some may even have a panko breading on them.
Frozen popcorn shrimp, such as Seapak shrimp and Gorton’s, includes pre-cooked shrimp that has been deep-fried.
Why Should You Air Fry Frozen Shrimp?
- Cooking shrimp in an air fryer is much healthier than choosing to deep fry it.
- It gets super crispy on the outside – you just can’t replicate that, even in an oven!
- It cooks MUCH faster!
- If you’re cooking some shrimp in the summer, the oven won’t heat your entire house.
- You can even reheat leftovers in there too (directions below).
How Do You Cook Frozen Shrimp in an Air Fryer?
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place the frozen shrimp inside the air fryer in a single layer.
- Cook shrimp for 6 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy it immediately!
It’s that simple!
How Do You Reheat Fried Shrimp in an Air Fryer?
One of my favorite things to do in an air fryer is reheat food. It’s one of the things people don’t use their air fryer for and really should.
Here is how you reheat shrimp in an air fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Cook shrimp in the air fryer for 3-4 minutes, until warmed thoroughly.
- Remove from your air fryer and enjoy!
This method should work with air fryer frozen shrimp and freshly battered shrimp that needs to be reheated.
Why Do I Need to Flip Food in an Air Fryer?
While not always necessary, flipping foods in an air fryer will ensure both sides are cooked evenly. An air fryer creates a 360 motion with air fryer circulation, but since the heat is on the top of the appliance, more heat will always hit the type of the food.
When using frozen shrimp, you can choose to do a quick shake of the basket to move the shrimp around and allow it to crisp up on the breaded outside evenly.
Can I Make Air Fryer Frozen Coconut Shrimp with These Directions?
Yes, as long your shrimp is approximately the same size as normal popcorn shrimp, this recipe will work as-is.
If the shrimp is slightly larger, just add a few minutes, and it will taste perfect!
Does This Recipe Work for Frozen Raw Shrimp in the Air Fryer?
No, these directions are for precooked shrimp that has been frozen. Raw shrimp will cook differently as it has never been cooked before.
What Do You Serve with Popcorn Shrimp?
Popcorn shrimp works great as a standalone appetizer served with ketchup and ranch dressing for dipping.
If you want to make frozen shrimp part of the main course meal, here are some options to do that as well:
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fried Broccoli
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
- Garlic Parmesan Jicama Fries
- Instant Pot Loaded Potato Casserole
- 6 ounces frozen popcorn shrimp (about 28-30 pieces)
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Place frozen shrimp in the air fryer in a single layer. (stacking will take much longer to cook).
- Cook the popcorn shrimp for 6 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- Remove the shrimp from the air fryer and serve immediately.
How to Reheat Breaded Shrimp in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the shrimp for 3-4 minutes until warmed thoroughly.
3. Remove from the air fryer and enjoy immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 688mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.