Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries make the ultimate side dish. If you want to shake up your fries routine with something new, sweet potatoes will do the trick!
It doesn’t get much better than homemade, crispy, and cooked-to-perfection French fries out of the air fryer. It’s the only way to achieve perfectly golden brown fries without a ton of excess oil.
We love air fryer fries in our house. But, I know from experience, that it is possible to get tired of eating the same old French fries.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The best tips and tricks for making air fryer sweet potato fries.
- Ideas for what to serve alongside this accidentally vegan recipe.
- Answers to the most frequently asked questions about making sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
Whether you’re an air fryer expert or not, there are a few specifics you need to know about homemade sweet potato fries in the air fryer.
How to Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees.
STEP TWO Cut your sweet potatoes into 1/2-inch strips to create fries. Cutting them any wider, like into sweet potato wedges will need longer to cook.
STEP THREE: Coat the sweet potato fries in olive oil then add the fine sea salt, garlic powder, paprika, and mix to combine seasoning evenly.
STEP FOUR: Place the sweet potato fries in the air fryer and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
Tips for Making the Best Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Set yourself up for success with my favorite tips for making the best air fryer sweet potato fries:
- Preheat your air fryer for the crispiest results
- Lay the air fried sweet potato fries in a single layer to avoid overcrowding
- Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch per 2 sweet potatoes to get an extra crunch to the sweet potato fries
- Cut your potatoes evenly so they all cook at the same time
You can check out these 65 Air Fryer Dinner Ideas for even more ideas!
What Kind of Dips to Use With Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
- 2 Ingredient BBQ sauce
- Honey Sriracha Sauce
- Honey Mustard
- Spicy aioli
- Nacho cheese
- Any homemade sauce that combines sour cream or Greek yogurt with herbs!
How to Cook Frozen Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
One of my favorite air fryer features is the fact that I can cook frozen food in it! That means that you can most definitely whip up a quick batch of frozen sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
Below is how to make sweet potato fries in an air fryer, frozen edition.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Place the frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer basket. You can stack them, but make sure not to fill the basket completely.
- Cook the fries for 7-8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time. If they look too dry, you can spray a bit of oil.
- When the fries are done cooking, remove them from the basket and enjoy!
Variations for Different Sweet Potato Fries
- Swap the spices with cinnamon and sugar for a sweeter air fryer sweet potato fries recipe. I call them dessert fries
- Add cayenne pepper for a nice kick of spiciness
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch per sweet potato for an extra coating and crispier sweet potato fry
- Swap the spices for your favorite blend of spices to switch up the flavor
How to Reheat Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries in Your Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Cook the leftover air fried sweet potato fries and cook until hot, about 5 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
Although you won’t need to use as much oil as a traditional oven, you do need to use a bit of oil in your air fryer.
Opt for varieties with a higher smoke point such as vegetable oil, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, or canola oil.
No, you don’t have to soak sweet potatoes in water before air frying.
Sweet potatoes don’t contain as much starch as regular white potatoes so you can skip this step for your sweet potato air fryer fries.
If you want to make Air Fryer French Fries, follow the directions here!
This can be caused by several reasons.
– Your sweet potato fries weren’t dried properly before adding the oil and spices
– The air fryer basket or air fryer oven was overcrowded
– Your sweet potato slices were not cut in similar sizes
If you like an extra crispy sweet potato fry, try adding a little cornstarch to the recipe!
You should cook your homemade sweet potato fries in the air fryer for 15-18 minutes at 380 degrees F.
Sweet potatoes are orange inside while yams are white inside. I find that the US liked to use these interchangeably, so if you find that sweet orange vegetable in the store labeled as a “yam,” that’s fine to use!
More Sweet Potato Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Sweet Potato Chips in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Frozen Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Mexican Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Dessert Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch strips to create fries.
- Coat sweet potato fries with olive oil.
- Add in the fine sea salt, garlic powder, and paprika and mix to combine seasoning evenly.
- Cook the sweet potato fries at 380 degrees for 15-18 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes.
How to Reheat Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Place your leftover sweet potato fries in the air fryer and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until warmed and crisped.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 89Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.