Gooey melted marshmallows, crushed Oreos, decadent white chocolate, and a hint of peppermint come together for these no-bake Christmas marshmallow treats that just scream holiday spirit!
Are you looking for a recipe that’s just bursting with holiday flavor? It can be hard to capture all of that festive spirit in one dish.
But this combination of gooey, melted marshmallows and white chocolate poured over crushed Oreos with just a touch of peppermint extract does a pretty good job!
In this post, I’ll show you how to make these no-bake Christmas marshmallow treats, options to make them gluten-free, variations to make your perfect holiday bars, and how to correctly store this festive dessert.
This recipe is a perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. They’re like Oreo rice krispie treats, but without the rice krispies. They’re also easy to make, and there’s no baking involved!
Simply melt the ingredients, mix it all together, and let the bars chill in the refrigerator.
So when you’re looking for a festive treat that’s guaranteed to make your day merry and bright, these holiday marshmallow treats with Oreo, white chocolate, and peppermint are sure to do the trick.
They might become your family’s new favorite Christmas tradition!
How To Make Holiday Marshmallow Treat With Oreos and White Chocolate
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Grease an 8×8 baking dish and set aside. You can also line the dish with parchment paper to make it easy to pull out the bars later.
STEP TWO: Crush the Oreo cookies into large chunks. You can either place them in a large plastic Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin or a food processor. Transfer the cookie chunks to a large bowl.
STEP THREE: In a medium saucepan over low heat, add the butter.
Once melted, add the marshmallows and 1 tablespoon of milk, then continue to cook on low heat, stirring often, until marshmallows are melted and smooth.
STEP FOUR: While the marshmallows are melting, place the white chocolate chips and remaining milk in a separate glass bowl.
Microwave the white chocolate and milk in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until fully melted. You could also use the double boiler method if you prefer.
STEP FIVE: Once the white chocolate is melted, pour it over the crushed cookies. Add the peppermint extract or crushed candy cane, then stir until fully combined.
STEP SIX: Once the marshmallows are melted, add the marshmallow mixture to the cookie mixture and stir to combine.
STEP SEVEN: Pour the mixture into the 8×8 pan. Use a piece of parchment paper or a spatula to press the mixture down evenly.
Top with sprinkles and additional crushed cookies, if using.
STEP EIGHT: Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares, then enjoy!
Can I Store Christmas Mint Oreo Marshmallow Bars?
Absolutely! You can store these two different ways
- Store them in an air-tight container at room temperature and enjoy within 3 days
- Cover them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days
Unfortunately, these holiday marshmallow bars do not freeze well.
Can You Make Gluten-Free Holiday Marshmallow Treats?
Yes, and it’s very easy to do.
First, double-check to make sure all your ingredients are gluten-free. Most brands of marshmallows are, but sometimes they like to stick some uneeded ingredients in there.
Ingredients to double-check:
- Pure white chocolate
- Peppermint or crushed candy canes
- Chocolate sandwich cookies — Oreos are not gluten-free, but it can be easy to locate gluten-free sandwich cookies that taste amazing in these Christmas marshmallow treats
Variations For These Marshmallow Oreo Bars
There are a few different ways that you can have some fun with this recipe.
- Use a crushed candy cane instead of peppermint extract to add that minty flavor
- Sprinkle crushed candy cane on top of the bars before you chill them for even more festive color and flavor
- Omit the peppermint extract or candy canes if you want a plain chocolate marshmallow treat
- Add in more crushed Oreos or gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies to create crunchier bars
- Use a 9×13 pan to make thinner bars
Tips For Making Holiday Mint Marshmallow Oreo Bars
These bars are very easy to make, but I do have a few tips for you.
- Use parchment paper down in your pan so you can cleanly pull the marshmallow treats right out after they’ve chilled.
- If you add more cookie crumbs, sprinkles, or crushed candy cane pieces on top at the end, press them into the bars with a spatula or parchment paper to make sure they stick.
Are you making these for a holiday party or to share with lots of family? You can cut them into smaller bar sizes so there’s more for everyone to try.
Other Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fried Oreos
- No-Bake Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Mousse
- 35 Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Air Fryer Apple Fritters
- Peppermint White Chocolate Cookies
- 1 package of Oreos (about 32-36 cookies)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups marshmallows, about 10 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons of milk, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract or crushed candy cane
- Red and green sprinkles for topping
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish and set aside. I like to put parchment paper down in my pan so I can cleanly pull the marshmallow treats right out and cut them in the end.
- Add cookies to a large plastic Ziploc bag. Use a rolling pin to crush the cookies into large chunks. You can also use a food processor instead. Place them into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter and cook on low until melted.
- Add the marshmallows and 1 tablespoon of milk to the butter. Continue to cook on low heat, stirring often until marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- While the marshmallows are melting, place the white chocolate chips and remaining milk in a separate glass bowl. Microwave the bowl in 30-second increments and stirring in between until fully melted.
- Pour the white chocolate over the crushed cookies, add in the peppermint extract or crushed candy cane, and stir until fully combined.
- Once the marshmallows are melted, add the marshmallow mixture to the cookie mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the 8x8 pan using a piece of parchment paper or a spatula to press the mixture down evenly.
- Top with sprinkles and additional crushed cookies if using.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares, then enjoy!
Replace Oreo cookies with gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies to make this recipe entirely gluten free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 191Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.