This green bean tater tot casserole is hearty, cheesy, and oh so easy to make! This one-dish wonder will quickly become one of your family favorites.
There is something so incredibly comforting about casseroles. Even the word “casserole” conjures images of family potlucks and all the joy of sharing with loved ones.
Whether you are getting ready for your next potluck or simply looking for an easy, satisfying weeknight dinner, this tater tot green bean casserole is a perfect choice.
The simple ingredients needed to make this easy tater tot casserole recipe are likely already in your freezer and cupboards.
Even better, this comforting dish can serve as an entire meal with meat, cheese, vegetables, and potatoes. It truly is comfort food at its finest!
This easy green bean tater tot casserole is another excellent opportunity to go ahead and let the kids help.
Everyone deserves the chance to contribute and put smiles on the faces of their loved ones. What better way than cooking?
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the ingredients you need to make this tater tot green bean casserole.
- Simple instructions for making this easy tater tot casserole recipe.
- Ideas for dishes to serve alongside your green beans tater tot casserole.
This easy recipe is a breeze and made with simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Get ready for a delicious, comforting meal your whole family will love!
How to make Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 2.5 quart baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
STEP TWO: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the ground beef and onion together, draining any excess fat.
STEP THREE: Season the onion and meat mixture with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley before stirring in the Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the sour cream and soup until well combined, then remove the skillet from heat.
STEP FOUR: Spread the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish in an even layer. Add the green beans, season with salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with a cup of cheese.
STEP FIVE: Layer the tater tots on top of the green beans, then the remaining cheese.
STEP SIX: Bake casserole until the tater tots are golden brown and the cheese is melted about 35-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
How Do I Keep Green Bean Tater Tot Casserole From Being Runny?
When preparing your casserole, be sure that you have removed any excess moisture from your vegetables and other ingredients.
Your casserole will likely seem a bit runny right out of the oven — it just needs a bit of time to thicken up.
Remove it from the oven and allow it to settle on the counter for 10-15 minutes, which usually does the trick.
What is Tater Tot Casserole Made Of?
This easy tater tot casserole is made with simple ingredients that are easy to prepare. The primary ingredients include:
- Frozen Tater tots (of course!)
- Green beans
- Ground beef
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Cream of mushroom soup
If you prefer a meatless dish, try our Tater Tot Casserole with No Meat.
What Sides Go Well With this Tater Tot Casserole Recipe?
With the ground beef, rich creamy base, green beans, and tater tots, this hearty recipe can easily stand on its own as a complete meal.
It is also fantastic with something lighter, such as your favorite fresh vegetable, cooked greens, or a garden salad with your favorite dressing.
Here are some side dish recipes for inspiration:
Don’t forget about the potluck potential here, either! This green bean tater tot casserole will shine brightly beside any other dish on the buffet table.
What is Another Name for Tater Tot Casserole?
Families in the Upper Midwest know this classic combination of starch, protein, and vegetables — all held together with a creamy sauce and baked in one dish — as hotdish.
How Do I Store Leftover Tater Tot Green Bean Casserole?
If you end up with leftovers, storage is simple and easy!
Store leftover cooked casserole in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
The uncooked casserole can be assembled and kept in the refrigerator for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Allow any frozen green bean tater tot casserole to slowly thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven at 350 degrees.
Other Casserole Recipes You’ll Love:
- Green Bean Casserole with Ritz Crackers
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Hamburger Hash Brown Casserole
- Green Beans Almondine
- Sausage Green Bean Potato Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole with Cream Cheese
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pineapple
- Green Bean Casserole Without Mushroom Soup
- 5 Ingredient Squash Casserole
- 5-Ingredient Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray a 2 ½-quart baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef and onion together. Drain any excess fat.
- Season with garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper, then stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the soup and sour cream until well combined, then remove the skillet from the heat.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading it into an even layer. Layer on the green beans, season with salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle on 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spread the tater tots evenly over the top, then sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until tater tots are golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 640Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 1068mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 44g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.