These peppermint white chocolate cookies are the stuff of legends. Soft, fluffy cookies are loaded with rich white chocolate chips and sweet candy cane pieces to create the perfect holiday cookie.
The holiday season is upon us once again, and these white chocolate peppermint cookies are here to answer the call.
Do you have a favorite holiday treat you love to wow your friends and family with? Well, get ready to add another to the list!
This classic recipe is a great one to make with your loved ones. Despite the decadence, these chocolate peppermint cookies are quite easy to make.
They are fancy enough to impress any crowd and can easily be customized to suit any palate. Add nuts, try a gluten free flour, or substitute milk or dark chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless!
And while peppermint cookies may immediately make us all think of Christmas, rest assured that this recipe is absolutely wonderful at any time of year.
You can also easily freeze the dough for future baking. Keep reading to learn how!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All the ingredients you need to make these scrumptious peppermint white chocolate cookies plus step-by-step instructions.
- Expert tips for getting the best white chocolate peppermint cookies every time.
- Simple and creative ways to customize your peppermint cookies.
You are only a few simple ingredients and an hour away from peppermint white chocolate cookies bliss. Let’s do this!
How to Make Peppermint White Chocolate Cookies
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the peppermint oil, vanilla, and egg until just fully incorporated. Overmixing will lead to stiff cookies, so aim for about 15-20 seconds.
STEP TWO: Use a separate medium bowl to sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together and mix until fully blended. Then, combine the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients until fully mixed. Do this slowly and scrape down the sides as needed.
STEP THREE: Gently fold in ¾ of the candy cane pieces and ¾ of the white chocolate chips. Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F while the dough is chilling.
STEP FIVE: Scoop out 2-tablespoon sized portions of dough, roll them into balls, and place them on your prepared cookie sheet.
STEP SIX: Bake cookies for 5 minutes. Remove cookies from the oven and sprinkle the remaining candy cane and white chocolate on top. Return to the oven to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Remove your cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for at least two minutes before you transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!
How Do I Get the Best Peppermint White Chocolate Cookies?
Follow these simple tips to get the best results each time:
- Line your pan with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- If making multiple batches with the same cookie sheet, allow the cookie sheet to cool between batches.
- Be sure your egg and butter are at room temperature to help fully incorporate ingredients.
- If starting with whole candy canes, add them to a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin to create pieces.
Why Are My Peppermint Cookies Spreading?
There are a few reasons that cookies usually spread and a few things to do to prevent it. First, make sure to chill your dough before baking. This is the best way to prevent spreading!
Use a cool (not hot) cookie sheet prepared with fresh parchment paper each time. The dough will grip the paper, slowing any spread.
Finally, your butter should be softened but not melted. If all else fails, add 1-2 tablespoons of extra flour to your remaining dough to help the texture.
How Can I Customize My Chocolate Peppermint Cookies?
Here are some creative ideas if you’d like to vary the recipe:
- Add almonds, walnuts, or other nuts
- Try milk or dark chocolate chips
- Use more or less peppermint oil, depending on taste
- Add cocoa to dough
- Try all-purpose gluten free in place of regular
How Do I Store White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies?
Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the countertop or for up to a week in the refrigerator.
You can also store prepared dough in the fridge for 3 days or the freezer for up to 3 months. Once ready to cook, set chilled dough out for 15 minutes before baking.
Other Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- 35 Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes with Few Ingredients
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies
- Peppermint Kiss Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Fruitcake Cookies
- Grinch Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Hershey Kiss Cookies
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Loaf Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed candy canes
- Use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and peppermint oil into the large bowl. Mix until fully incorporated for 15-20 seconds. Any longer and your cookies will be stiff.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing again until fully incorporated and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed
- Fold in ¾ of the white chocolate chips and ¾ of the crushed candy canes.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line and baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Use a measuring spoon to scoop two tablespoons of dough. Use clean hands to roll the dough into a ball and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place the remainder of the white chocolate chips and crushed candy canes on top of each cookie.
- Bake for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet and then place onto a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.