This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
A creamy and thick homemade buffalo sauce that’s full of flavor and the perfect amount of spice from everything from buffalo wings to buffalo macaroni and cheese.
We are huge spicy food lovers in our house. My husband grew up in Buffalo, so it’s no surprise we’re buffalo sauce lovers. This recipe had to be on point for him to replicate those buffalo-style wings he knows and loves.
This easy buffalo sauce recipe is made from scratch with just 7 ingredients and takes only 5 minutes to make.
In this post, I will teach you:
- What buffalo sauce is
- How to make homemade buffalo sauce
- If buffalo sauce fits into the keto diet
- How to make this buffalo sauce spicier (or more mild)
- How to make this buffalo sauce even thicker
- The best way to store and use this recipe
- How to make this recipe vegetarian
- Delicious recipes to use this buffalo sauce recipe with!
You will never go back to store-bought buffalo sauce after trying this recipe. It’s just so easy to make and the creaminess cannot be duplicated.
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is made with a mixture of hot sauce, butter, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce.
The butter helps make the sauce super creamy and is irreplaceable in the recipe. It’s what really makes the sauce have the perfect flavor.
How to Make This Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Combine
You can use another kind of hot sauce if you prefer something to Frank’s, but I personally recommend Frank’s Red Hot to get the best desired taste.
STEP TWO: Allow mixture to come to a simmer. The butter should be completely melted. This takes about 5 minutes. Taste the sauce and add salt as needed.
STEP THREE: Take off the heat and allow it to cool. The sauce will start to thicken as it cools.
How To Adjust the Spice Level in Buffalo Wing Sauce
Heat tolerance can vary per person, so it’s important to tailor this recipe to exactly what you want. To make the sauce spicier, simply double the cayenne pepper included.
If you prefer a milder version of this recipe, you can half the amount of cayenne pepper used. You can even omit it if you prefer. This will minimally affect the taste of the sauce and help you lower that spice level.
Is Buffalo Sauce Keto?
Yes! Most buffalo sauces, including this homemade thick buffalo sauce recipe is completely keto.
This specific recipe includes 0 carbohydrates, making it completely keto-friendly and perfect for a low-carb diet.
How to Make Buffalo Sauce Thicker
This recipe will thicken while it sits in the fridge and comes out nice and thick when ready to use.
If you’re looking to thicken up the sauce quickly after making, just follow these simple steps:
- Heat up the buffalo sauce in a small saucepan or keep on heat.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon warm water in a small separate bowl to create a slurry mixture.
- Add the slurry mixture into the hot buffalo sauce, stir, and let cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The mixture of water and cornstarch will allow the buffalo sauce to thicken.
You can repeat this method until you reach the consistency you would like, being mindful it can take a few minutes on the heat for it to thicken fully.
How to Store Buffalo Sauce
This homemade buffalo sauce recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
I like to store mine inside a tightly sealed Mason Jar.
To use refrigerated buffalo sauce, remove from the fridge, stir sauce, and let it sit for 5 minutes. This will allow the sauce to thin up to the right consistency perfect for chicken wings.
How to Make Buffalo Sauce Vegetarian
This recipe can be easily made vegetarian by swapping out normal Worcestershire sauce (it contains anchovies) for a vegan Worcestershire sauce.
You can also substitute the amount of Worcestershire sauce needed with half lemon juice, half soy sauce, and a small pinch of granulated sugar.
I do not recommend changing this specific recipe into a vegan variety as butter is a necessary ingredient to keep the creamy texture.
Recipes That Use This Creamy Buffalo Sauce Recipe
This recipe can be used as an easy dipping sauce for chicken tenders, cauliflower, and more. The sauce is also great as a chicken wing sauce.
Try using it with these recipes:
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- 5-Minute Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Thighs
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 2/3 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Combine the Frank's Red Hot, butter, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce*, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder to a small sauce pan on medium-low heat.
- Whisk frequently until sauce comes to a simmer and butter is completely melted.
- Taste and add salt as needed.
- Let cool and refrigerate up to a month. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
* to make vegetarian, substitute Worcestershire sauce out for a vegan Worcestershire or use half lemon juice, half soy sauce, and a small pinch of granulated sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 105Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 583mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g