Need a quick side everyone is sure to love? Just throw some frozen French fries in the air fryer! They’re hot, crispy, perfect for dipping, and ready in just 15 minutes.
Have a bag of Ore Ida fries hanging out in the back of your freezer? One you try making frozen French fries in the air fryer, that bag will disappear in no time!
I’ve tried making frozen fries using the oven, stove, and microwave, but there really is no comparison.
When you whip them up in the air fryer, they turn out as hot and crispy as the ones you get from your favorite fast food spot!
Best of all, they’re ready in 15 minutes, and you don’t even have to leave your house.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The fool-proof method for making air fryer frozen French fries
- How long to cook frozen fries in the air fryer
- The best brands of frozen fries to make in the air fryer
- My favorite method for heating up leftover French fries
If your family is anything like mine, they’ll never say no to French fries.
And thanks to the air fryer, you can have a batch ready to serve in just 15 minutes including pre-heat time! This quick and easy recipe is one you’ll come back to again and again.
How to Make Frozen French Fries in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Arrange about ⅓ of a bag of fries in an even layer in the air fryer basket.
STEP THREE: Air fry for 10 minutes, tossing the basket halfway through until the fries are crispy and hot.
STEP FOUR: Repeat with remaining fries.
STEP FIVE: Toss with salt before serving.
How Long to Cook Frozen French Fries in the Air Fryer
This recipe is for skinny French fries, which might be labeled shoestring or thin cut, depending on the brand. They should take about 10 minutes total after the air fryer is preheated.
If you’re using thicker fries, you’ll want to cook them a little longer. In that case, make sure to shake the basket every five minutes.
You can also check out my recipe for making frozen steak fries in the air fryer for the most accurate cooking time!
What Brand of Frozen French Fries Work Best for this Recipe?
I like to use Ore Ida golden shoestrings for this recipe. They’re skinny like fast food fries, and I just love the way they get so crispy on the outside while staying pillowy-soft on the inside!
I’ve also seen frozen shoestring fries offered by other brands like Meijer, Market Pantry, and Great Value.
You’re welcome to use any brand you like, just make sure they’re shoestring or thin cut if you want them to be as similar as possible to fast food fries.
Tips for Making the Best Frozen Fries in the Air Fryer
- You don’t need to add any extra oil to the fries. They already have oil in them, so adding additional oil could make them soggy.
- If you’re cooking the full bag, you can transfer the finished fries to a cookie sheet and place them in the oven on WARM. That way, they’ll stay hot and crispy while you cook the remaining frozen fries.
- Be sure to shake the basket every 5 minutes or so. This will allow the fries to cook more evenly and really crisp up on all sides.
What to Serve with French Fries
- BBQ Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Cheese Steak
- Chicken Caesar Wrap
- Ham and Cheese Roll Ups
- Tri Tip Crock Pot
Can You Reheat French Fries in the Air Fryer?
Absolutely! In fact, I think this is the only way to reheat leftover french fries that actually tastes as good as when they were first made.
I’ve tried reheating fries in the microwave, in the oven, and on the stove, and they’re never worth it. But with the air fryer, they turn out hot and fresh every time!
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Lay the leftover French fries in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until crispy and heated all the way through.
Other Air Fryer French Fry Recipes You’ll Love:
- Curly Fries in the Air Fryer
- Frozen Crinkle Fries in the Air Fryer
- Frozen Waffle Fries in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- 16 ounce bag frozen French fries
- Sea salt, to taste
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
2. Arrange about ⅓ of a bag of fries in an even layer in the air fryer basket.
3. Air fry for 10-18 minutes (depending on the kind of fries - shoestring/fast food fries took ~10 minutes), tossing the basket every 5 minutes until the fries are crispy and hot. Repeat with remaining fries, tossing with salt before serving.
How to reheat french fries:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
2. Add french fries to the basket and cook for 3-5 minutes or until hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 119Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 342mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.