Perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside, this easy chocolate chip cookie recipe without brown sugar is made with simple pantry ingredients! Plus, no mixer required.
Today’s recipe for chocolate chip cookies with no brown sugar only requires 5 ingredients to make!
You won’t even need a mixer to pull it off — just a large bowl and a trusty whisk.
It’s a great one to make with your kids if you’re looking for something to do on a rainy day. And, you’ll get a whole batch of cookies out of the deal!
If you loved my recipe for chocolate chip cookies without baking soda, you just may like this one even more.
My 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar are one of my easiest cookie recipes to date!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The simple pantry items you’ll need to make 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar.
- Instructions on how to assemble your chocolate chip cookie recipe without brown sugar, what temperature to bake them at, and how long before you can take them out of the oven.
- Tips for how to get perfectly round chocolate chip cookies with no brown sugar every time.
You won’t even have to run out to the store to stock up on a lot of ingredients as you probably already have them at home!
A homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe without brown sugar doesn’t get much easier than this.
How To Make A Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Without Brown Sugar
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Place the melted butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl and whisk together until well combined. Then, whisk in the egg.
STEP TWO: Add the self-rising flour and stir until the mixture is fully incorporated. Next, fold the chocolate chips into your cookie dough. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. While it chills, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP THREE: Line a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet (or a silpat-lined baking sheet). Scoop out 2-tablespoon-sized portions of dough and place them at least 2-inches apart. You don’t want to put them too close together as these cookies tend to spread.
STEP FOUR: Bake for 10 minutes and remove the tray from the oven. Tap it on the counter a few times to sink the center of your chocolate chip cookies with no brown sugar.
Run a round cookie cutter around the edge of the cookies to form smooth and round circles. This is one of my favorite baking tricks!
STEP FIVE: Bake the cookies for another 5-7 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Allow them to cool on the tray, then transfer them to a serving plate or an airtight container.
You can store them at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Do I Have To Use Self-Rising Flour?
Yes! One of the reasons why 5 ingredient chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar are possible is because self-rising flour contains baking powder and salt.
If you replace it with another flour, you’ll have to also add these other items. Make your life easier and follow the instructions and ingredients on the recipe card below.
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Brown Sugar For Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Here’s where my recipe for chocolate chip cookies with no brown sugar comes in!
While brown sugar does add additional flavor, I find that leaving it out doesn’t affect the overall taste that much.
If you’re craving something a little extra, feel free to add a bit of vanilla extract to the mix. That said, I love this sweet treat as is!
What Is The Purpose Of Brown Sugar In Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Most traditional recipes that call for brown sugar use it to make the final results chewy and flavorful.
While this is true, my chocolate chip cookie recipe without brown sugar is chewy, soft, and loaded up with flavor. This is thanks to sugar, butter, and chocolate chips. You really don’t need much more!
What Makes Cookies Chewy or Crispy?
It’s all about what type of sugar you use. Typically, white sugar will give you a crispy cookie and brown sugar renders chewier results.
My recipe for chocolate chip cookies with no brown sugar will give you the best of both worlds, thanks to my specific baking methods.
They are crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside!
Other Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Slice and Bake Cookies
- Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Butterscotch Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies Without Butter
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Peppermint White Chocolate Cookies
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups self-rising flour
- 1 ¼ cups chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and granulated sugar until completely combined. Next, whisk in the egg.
- Add the self-rising flour and stir until it is fully incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them into the cookie dough.
- Cover the bowl and place the cookie dough in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. While the cookie dough chills, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Scoop out 2-tablespoon sized portions onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Make sure to place them at least 2” apart– these cookies will spread!
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. Then remove the tray from the oven and tap it on the counter a few times to sink the cookies.
- Run a round cookie cutter around the edge of the cookies to shape them into smooth, round circles.
- Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the tray and then transfer them to an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to three days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.