Ready for the ultimate comfort dish? This air fryer mac and cheese is quick, easy, and so incredibly cheesy; it’s bound to become a family favorite!
Air fryer mac and cheese is here to change the game! Get ready for the creamiest, dreamiest mac and cheese, all cooked to perfection in your trusty air fryer.
Best of all, this no-boil, no-fuss recipe means heaps of cheesy goodness ready in a snap.
The air fryer not only makes cooking mac and cheese a breeze but also elevates this humble dish to its richest, cheesiest potential.
The combination of cream cheese, sharp cheddar, and a dash of spices makes it downright irresistible to kids and adults alike!
With tender, perfectly cooked noodles and so much creaminess, air fried mac and cheese takes comfort food to a whole new level.
You’ll never want to make this dish any other way again!
How to Make Air Fryer Mac and Cheese
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Spray the air fryer pot with nonstick cooking spray.
STEP THREE: Place the macaroni noodles and seasonings into the pot.
STEP FOUR: Pour the cream and water over the noodles and stir to make sure all of the noodles are covered.
STEP FIVE: Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place them on top of the macaroni.
STEP SIX: Add one cup of cheddar cheese to the mac and cheese mixture. Stir, then place the pot into the air fryer.
STEP SEVEN: Cook your mac and cheese, stopping and stirring every 4-5 minutes, until it’s cooked for a total of 15 minutes.
STEP EIGHT: After 15 minutes, stir another ½ cup of shredded cheese into the mac and cheese.
STEP NINE: Add the last ½ cup of shredded cheese on top of the mac and cheese.
STEP TEN: Place the pot back into the air fryer for 3-4 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly.
What to Serve with Air Fried Macaroni and Cheese
While the classic macaroni and cheese dish is a crowd favorite, it can sometimes feel like a standalone meal. However, pairing it with the right sides can take this comfort food to the next level.
Consider air frying broccoli and cauliflower to add some greens and texture to your meal.
Don’t forget about the classic side of garlic bread for a delicious and satisfying combination.
How Long to Cook Macaroni and Cheese in the Air Fryer
It only takes 25 minutes to cook this baked mac and cheese in the air fryer using this recipe!
That means you can boil your pasta AND get the taste of oven baked mac and cheese all in just 20 minutes in the air fryer!
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Mac and Cheese
- Use the right air fryer pot! I recommend this one, which will fit in most 4.2-quart air fryers and larger.
- Cube the cream cheese for even melting. This guarantees every bite has a touch of creaminess.
- Make sure to stir every 4-5 minutes! This helps the cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese melt while preventing the top from becoming browned and crispy.
- Store leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat macaroni and cheese in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Spray the air fryer pot, add the leftover mac and cheese, and air fry for 4-5 minutes until heated through — or just turn them into mac and cheese bites!
Can you heat up macaroni and cheese in an air fryer?
Yes, you can definitely heat up macaroni and cheese in an air fryer to revive your leftover mac and cheese!
Simply preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F and place the macaroni and cheese in an oven-safe dish inside the air fryer basket. Cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
You can also add some breadcrumbs on top and air fry for another minute to get a crispy topping.
More Air Fryer Dinner Recipes
- 1 ½ cup dried macaroni noodles
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Spray the air fryer pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the macaroni noodles and seasonings into the pot.
- Pour heavy cream and water over the noodles and stir to make sure all of the noodles are covered.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and place them on top of the macaroni noodles.
- Place one cup of cheese in the mac and cheese mixture. Stir and place the pot into the air fryer.
- Cook the mac and cheese for 15 minutes, but stop and stir it every 4-5 minutes. This helps the cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese melt without the top becoming browned and crispy.
- At the end of the 15 minutes, place ½ cup of shredded cheese and stir it into the mac and cheese. Top the mac and cheese with the last ½ cup and place it back into the air fryer for 3-4 minutes until it is melted and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 31gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 736mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.