This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
12 flavorful and yummy leftover mac and cheese recipes to use up your favorite cheesy and creamy dinner!
Leftover Mac and Cheese is a regular occurrence in our house with young kids. We have started getting super creative on how to use our leftovers so it’s not the same old thing every night.
Plus, macaroni and cheese can lose its cheesy flavor the next night and you need something with more flavors to bring it back to life!
I’ve put together 12 leftover mac and cheese recipes to make dinner that much more enjoyable – and easy to make! Just make extras and enjoy these recipes the day after.
How Long is Leftover Mac and Cheese Good For?
Macaroni and cheese will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days when properly stored in an airtight container.
How to Make Leftover Mac and Cheese Creamy Again
Macaroni and cheese can lose a lot of its flavor the next day, so it’s important to turn it back creamy and flavorful when eating it as leftovers.
The best way to revive mac and cheese is to do 2 things when reheating it:
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter (more if reheating a bunch)
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk per plate of mac and cheese
You can also add additional shredded cheddar cheese to add more of a cheesy flavor the next day.
Add these before reheating for the best results.
Try one of my two favorite mac and cheese recipes!
Here are 12 options on what to do with leftover mac and cheese!
- 4 Acorn Squashes
- 5 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 4 cups of leftover mac and cheese
- 2 tablespoons of milk (more if needed)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tops of acorn squash off. Scoop out seeds and pulp leaving about 1-2
inches on the sides and bottom. Place acorn squashes on a baking sheet.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the microwave then use a basting brush to spread butter on top and inside of each acorn squash.
- Bake squash for 40-50 minutes, until tender with a fork.
- While the acorn squash is baking, reheat the macaroni and cheese by adding in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and milk, then reheat in the microwave, stirring a few times when cooking.
- Remove the acorn squash from the oven, scoop 1 cup of macaroni and cheese into each acorn squash and enjoy!
- Optional: Top with breadcrumbs, shredded cheddar cheese, and broil for 2 minutes, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 679Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 893mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 12gSugar: 9gProtein: 15g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.