This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
I absolutely love macaroni and cheese and this mac and cheese stuffed acorn squash is perfect for the whole family.
The dish is extra cheesy and perfect for the kids while the acorn squash takes it up a notch and pairs perfectly together.
It’s a great recipe to use up your fall harvest and a unique way to use acorn squash for the holidays, including Thanksgiving. It’s vegetarian and oh so good.
This macaroni and cheese is much healthier than the boxed variety and includes only real ingredients. There’s no Velveeta and it’s so easy!
We enjoy it on a nice winter night as a family. It’s comfort food for all!
Making the Roasted Acorn Squash Bowl
Preheat your oven to 400.
Wash and remove the top of the acorn squash, cutting about ½ inch down.
Scoop down in the middle with a spoon or melon baller and remove the seeds and flesh until you have a bowl. There should be about ½ inch of acorn squash left on all sides.
If making this recipe for kids or you just don’t want the entire squash, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds and flesh.
PRO TIP: If your acorn squash is not standing up flat, cut a tiny bit of squash from the bottom to allow it to sit flat.
Melt the butter in a microwave and brush on top of and inside each acorn squash.
Roast the acorn squash for 40-50 minutes until it is tender when pierced with a fork.
Making the Macaroni and Cheese
I love this macaroni and cheese as a standalone dish all year round. My 3-year-old loves it and it’s honestly the best homemade mac and cheese I’ve ever had.
That is why this recipe makes more than each bowl will hold. Leftovers are a staple in our house, and it keeps the kids content when we make something they may not like.
Boil a pot of water and cook pasta following the directions on the box. Drain pasta and let sit in a colander.
Melt the butter in the same pot on medium heat. Add in the flour, salt, and pepper and mix until smooth making a roux.
Slowly add the milk while stirring. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken and bubble.
Quickly remove the pot from the heat and add in the cheddar cheese, mixing until fully melted and combined.
Drain and add the cooked pasta back to the pan and mix until combined.
How to Assemble the Mac and Cheese Stuffed Acorn Squash
Remove the baked acorn squash from the oven. Spoon the macaroni and cheese into the bowls and serve immediately.
To eat as the main dish: serve additional macaroni and cheese on the side or add to the bowl as you eat.
To eat as a side dish: serve mac and cheese acorn squash bowl as is and enjoy!
Delicious Recipes You Will Love:
- 6 Acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons butter
Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 ounces shells pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppet
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tops of acorn squash off. Scoop out seeds and pulp leaving about 1-2 inches on the sides and bottom. Place acorn squashes on baking sheet.
- Melt butter in microwave then use a basting brush to spread butter on top and inside of each acorn squash.
- Bake squash for 40-50 minutes, until tender with a fork.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on box then use a colander to strain it.
- Melt butter in the same pot on medium/low heat. Add in the flour, salt, and pepper, and stir until combined to make a roux.
- Gradually add in milk while stirring until sauce starts to thicken, 3-4 minutes
- Remove pot from heat and immediately add in cheddar cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour pasta into cheese mixture and mix well to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days. Reheat prior to eating.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 64mg Sodium: 477mg Carbohydrates: 54g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g