This yellow squash casserole is easy, cheesy, and a certified crowd pleaser! With just a handful of ingredients and 30 minutes, you can bake a delicious comfort dish the whole family will love.
Squash is one of the easiest vegetables to grow, which is both a blessing and curse. Every home gardener ends up asking themselves, “What do I do with all of this leftover squash?!”
Well, my 5 ingredient squash casserole is the answer! It’s the perfect way to savor the flavors of the season. Better yet, this recipe uses everyday ingredients that you probably have shoved in the back of your pantry!
This iconic summer squash with cream of chicken soup is absolutely packed with vitamins and minerals, and I love working it into as many dishes as I can! Its flavor is mild, nutty, and buttery, so even the kids love it.
Read on to learn how to make the best yellow squash casserole your family has ever had!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to bake a 5 ingredient squash casserole in just 30 minutes
- Some fun and simple ways to customize this yellow squash casserole dish so that you can enjoy it all summer long
- The best way to store and reheat leftovers for the best flavor and texture
This yellow squash casserole with Ritz crackers is so easy, makes little mess, and is packed with filling and flavorful ingredients that keep you coming back for bite after bite. It’s the best summertime dinner recipe out there!
How to Make Squash Casserole
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
STEP TWO: Wash the squash in cold running water, removing any dirt with your fingers. Pat dry and chop into thin slices. You don’t need to peel it before slicing.
STEP THREE: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan or skillet. Season the squash slices with salt and pepper, then lay them in the skillet. Pan fry for 5 minutes or so, until soft, then drain over a bowl for another 5 minutes to remove excess moisture.
STEP FOUR: Pour the cream of chicken soup in a bowl and sprinkle in the melted cheese. Mix together with a spatula. Crush the crackers and add them to a separate bowl. Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the cracker crumbs, stirring until the crackers are thoroughly coated.
STEP FIVE: Lay the drained squash in a baking dish. Scoop the cheese and soup mixture into the dish and stir. Add the buttered crackers and create an even top layer. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Once the top is toasted to a golden brown, the sides bubble, and the contents set, it’s done!
Do You Put Eggs in Squash Casserole?
My 5 ingredient squash casserole does not contain any eggs. Instead, I use creamy chicken soup to help bind all of the ingredients and seasonings together — it’s far more flavorful and effective at helping the contents set. Plus, it lasts forever in the pantry, making it a great go-to dinner ingredient.
Why is My Squash Casserole Watery?
This vegetable has a lot of moisture. That’s why it’s very important that you don’t skip draining it after pan frying, as instructed in step 3. You can take additional measures by patting the slices dry before frying as well.
If you’re still not satisfied with the thickness of the dish, you can add a mixture of cornstarch and water to the mix before baking. However, I find that this recipe is adequately thick, thanks to the cream of chicken soup. Give it a chance to bake and set in the oven!
How to Customize Squash Casserole
Looking to shake things up a bit? Here are a few ways to customize this recipe:
- Add sweet diced onion to the mixture for extra flavor and texture.
- Sprinkle in some paprika for mild heat and color, or cayenne pepper for even more color and spice.
- Throw in a dash of garlic powder or onion powder for a more sharp, pungent flavor.
- Herbs like cilantro, parsley, or oregano are also delicious to add in!
- For a vegetarian option, substitute the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom.
How Do I Reheat Squash Casserole?
One great thing about this dish is that it certainly won’t dry out when reheated!
First off, I do not recommend freezing your leftovers. There is a lot of moisture here, so freezing, thawing, and reheating will alter the texture and make it runny. This dish will keep in the refrigerator for 5 days.
To reheat, simply pop the dish back in the oven at 350 degrees until warmed through the center. You can also microwave a slice in 30 second bursts until warmed or air fry it in an air fryer pan for 3 to 4 minutes at 380 degrees.
Other Casserole Recipes You’ll Love:
- Broccoli Casserole with Ritz Crackers
- 5-Ingredient Hash Brown Casserole
- Corn Casserole without Creamed Corn
- Ritz Cracker Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Mac and Cheese with Corn Casserole
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Squash
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pineapple
- 1 pound yellow squash, sliced (about 2 medium squash)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (10.75 ounce)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 20 Ritz crackers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash your squash in cold running water, removing any dirt with your fingers. Pat dry. Then slice your squash into thin slices.
- Take 2 tablespoons of your butter and heat it in a large skillet. Place your squash in the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, till they are softening. Then drain your squash over a bowl for about 5 minutes to drip off excess moisture.
- In a medium bowl combine cream of chicken soup and shredded cheese.
- In another bowl, crush Ritz crackers and melt your remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour your melted butter over your crackers and stir to coat the crackers evenly.
- Place your squash in a casserole dish and pour the soup and cheese mixture over the squash. Stir to combine. Then top with the crushed crackers. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, till the top is golden brown, the sides are bubbling, and the casserole is set.
HOW TO REHEAT SQUASH CASSEROLE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place casserole dish in oven and leave it until it warms through the center.
- Place casserole in microwave and reheat with 30 second intervals until warmed through.
1. Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 688mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 7g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.