Indulge in the comforting goodness of Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Pie. A delightful dessert that brings together the sweet, savory, and tangy flavors into layered, creamy perfection.
Get ready to savor the incredible combination of flavors in sweet potato pie made with canned yams. This dessert masterpiece merges the velvety goodness of sweet potatoes with the silky delight of cream cheese.
Imagine sinking your fork into layered creamy sweetness — the contrast of textures and the rich filling made with condensed milk makes each bite a pure delight.
Whether you’re celebrating a festive occasion or simply treating yourself, this sweet potato cheesecake is a go-to choice that never disappoints. The comforting notes of roasted sweet potatoes and the creamy cheesecake consistency create the best dessert.
What makes this sweet potato pie with cream cheese even more appealing is how easy it is to make. It’s out of the oven in just under an hour, then into the refrigerator to chill.
You can easily prepare this sweet potato cheesecake pie the day of the event or make it ahead of time!
How to Make Sweet Potato Pie with Canned Yams
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and get your pie crust ready.
STEP TWO: In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the softened cream cheese and granulated sugar. Mix them until they become light and fluffy, which should take about 2 minutes.
STEP THREE: Add the egg and vanilla extract to the cream cheese mixture and mix everything together until it’s well combined. Once mixed, spread the cream cheese mixture evenly into the prepared pie crust. Then, chill in the fridge while you work on the next layer.
STEP FOUR: Using a food processor, combine the drained yams and light brown sugar. Pulse the mixture until it turns smooth, usually around 30 seconds of pulsing.
STEP FIVE: Add the heavy cream, egg, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon to the mashed yams. Pulse again until everything is thoroughly combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
STEP SIX: Gently spoon the sweet potato mixture over the cream cheese layer in the pie crust. Try to keep a clear separation between the two layers.
STEP SEVEN: Bake the sweet potato cream cheese pie in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. It’s done when the center of the pie no longer jiggles too much when gently moved.
STEP EIGHT: Once you take the pie out of the oven, allow it to cool down to room temperature. Afterward, transfer it to the refrigerator and let it chill for a minimum of 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Tips for the Best Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Pie
- Soften the cream cheese for the most velvety consistency. Making sweet potato pie with cream cheese brings a luxurious texture and a tangy note that’s irresistible!
- Chill cheesecake pie for the recommended amount of time; otherwise, it won’t have that deliciously creamy and fluffy texture.
- Keep the layers as separate as possible by spooning each filling gently into the crust. This creates a satisfying display and really allows you to taste each flavor.
Variations for Sweet Potato Pie with Cream Cheese
- Experiment with warming spices like nutmeg, ginger, or allspice to create a personalized blend of fall flavor.
- Use your favorite homemade pie crust recipe instead of store bought. Note that it will increase the amount of prep time!
- Swap light brown sugar with granulated if needed. To keep that caramel flavor, add a little maple syrup.
More Cake and Pie Recipes
- Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie
- Jello Lemon Meringue Pie
- Pecan Pie Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Without Condensed Milk
- Pecan Upside Down Cake
- Strawberry Banana Cake
- 3-Ingredient No-Bake Cheesecake
Are Canned Yams the Only Option?
While canned yams provide convenience, which I prefer, you can also use fresh sweet potatoes or yams.
Just make sure they’re cooked and pureed before you use them in your sweet potato cheesecake pie.
What Goes Well with This Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Pie?
So many creamy toppings taste delicious with this sweet potato cheesecake, so I recommend experimenting to find your favorite.
My personal go-to’s are vanilla ice cream, Cool Whip, and good ol’ whipped cream.
Can I Freeze this Sweet Potato Pie with Canned Yams?
While freezing might alter the texture slightly over time, it’s perfectly fine to freeze the sweet potato cream cheese pie for up to a month. Any longer will cause it to lose its creamy texture.
Tightly wrap the pie in layers of plastic wrap and foil before storing, then thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
More Sweet Potato Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 1 store bought (or homemade) pie crust (regular, not deep dish)
For the Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Sweet Potato Layer
- 1 standard can (15 ounces) yams, drained well
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the softened cream cheese and granulated sugar until light and fluffy– about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the prepared pie crust, spreading it out evenly. Transfer the pie to the fridge while you make the sweet potato layer.
- Add the drained yams and light brown sugar to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they are smooth– about 30 seconds.
- Next, add the heavy cream, egg, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon to the mashed yams and pulse until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Carefully spoon the sweet potato mixture over the cream cheese layer, trying to keep the two layers as separate as possible.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the pie no longer shakes when gently jiggled.
- Allow the pie to cool completely to room temperature, and then transfer it to the fridge and chill for at least 2 hours before slicing. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.