Air fryer onions reach caramelized perfection in minutes. Make rich, golden brown, crispy onions to use in dishes or as toppings without being stuck at your stove!
When I found out how many of my favorite foods I could air fry, my life changed! Cooking onions in an air fryer basket means less time cleaning up and more time to enjoy your delicious dish. Whether you want sliced onions, sautéed onions, or roasted onion strings, air frying is the perfect method.
These super tasty air fryer onions are the perfect topping for hamburgers, hot dogs, or even on their own as a side dish!
Get your air fryer ready, grab some fresh onions, and experience the magic of turning simple ingredients into mouth watering creations. You’ll love the convenience and incredible flavor of these fried onions in the air fryer!
How to Caramelize Onions in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 370 F.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, toss the sliced onions with the olive oil and salt until well coated.
STEP THREE: Place onions into the preheated air fryer basket and air fry onions for 5 minutes, shaking once halfway through, or until desired level of tenderness is reached.
STEP FOUR: Serve warm!
Tips to Make the Best Fried Onions in the Air Fryer
- Use your favorite variety. I love using Vidalia onions for these air fryer caramelized onions! This air frying method works so well though, you can use any type of sweet onions, white onions, or red onions.
- The larger, the better! Larger onions give you more to work with! It’s also easier to get evenly sized slices, allowing them to cook evenly.
- Move the slices around. Shake or stir the onions during cooking to ensure they cook evenly and achieve an even golden brown color.
How Long to Air Fry Onions
For thinly sliced onions, a cooking time of around 12 to 15 minutes at 300 degrees F is a good starting point! However, the thickness of those delicious onions and your preferences can vary this time slightly.
If you prefer softer, more caramelized onions, you can extend the cooking time by a few minutes.
On the other hand, if you want crispier onions, reduce the cooking time slightly. Be sure to give air fryer onions a stir every few minutes to help them cook evenly.
More Air Fryer Recipes with Onions
- Air Fryer Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Pierogies With Onions
- Air Fryer Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
Ways to Use Air Fryer Onions
- Pile air fried onion onto a plate of loaded fries or nachos for a delicious, savory upgrade.
- Sprinkle over baked potatoes along with sour cream or cheese!
- Incorporate roasted onions into your omelet or scrambled eggs for a flavorful twist to your breakfast.
- Sprinkle air fryer onions on top of casseroles before baking to create a crispy and irresistible crust.
- Fold fried onions into creamy sour cream or Greek yogurt-based dips for added texture and a delicious flavor.
Seasoning Ideas for Onions in the Air Fryer
- Garlic powder: This makes just about any dish a million times better!
- Brown sugar: Use this instead of white granulated sugar when you air fry onions to deepen the caramelized flavor.
- Italian seasoning: Infuse air fried onion with an aromatic blend of oregano, parsley, and rosemary.
- Cajun seasoning: This adds a spicy twist to this dish!
- Smoked paprika: Creates a smoky flavor and deepens the color of air fried onions.
How to Store Leftover Air Fried Onions
Once cooled, store cooked onions in an airtight container. They will last for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Reheat on the stove or in the air fryer, allowing frozen air fryer onions to thaw in the refrigerator overnight first.
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Roasted Garlic
- Air Fryer Bell Peppers
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes
- Air Fryer Frozen Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini
- Air Fryer Spaghetti Squash
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced onions with the olive oil and salt until well coated.
- Place onions into the preheated air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes, shaking once halfway through, or until desired level of tenderness is reached.
- Serve warm!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 52Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.