Add a pop of flavor to any dish with quick and easy air fryer bell peppers! They cook to tender perfection with a smokey char on the outside in under 15 minutes.
Want to enjoy tasty cooked peppers without going through the hassle of sauteeing them on the stove?
Air fryer bell peppers are lightly seasoned and cook to tender perfection with a smokey, delicious char on the outside in under 15 minutes!
This has to be one of the easiest ways to make peppers. Just slice, toss them in oil and seasoning, then let the air fryer work its magic.
All you have to do is shake the basket halfway through. No fussing over them in the pan!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- My favorite way to make peppers in the air fryer
- How long to air fry peppers for the best results
- Tips for making the best air fryer peppers
- What kind of peppers to use for this recipe
- What to serve with air fryer peppers
Tender sliced bell peppers are a great way to add a pop of flavor and color to any meal.
You can serve them as part of Mexican night, as a side dish, in sandwiches or wraps, and so much more.
Once you see how delicious and easy they are, you’ll be finding ways to add them to all your meals!
I made this recipe using the 5.7 QT Instant Pot Air Fryer. Its square basket makes it the perfect size for our family of 4.
How to Make Air Fryer Bell Peppers
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
STEP TWO: In a large bowl, toss the sliced peppers with the oil, salt, and garlic powder.
STEP THREE: Place the bell peppers in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
STEP FOUR: Cook for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through, until tender with a slight char.
How Long Do Bell Peppers Take in the Air Fryer?
This is going to depend on a few factors like the size of the peppers and the make and model of your air fryer.
That’s why it’s important to make sure all of your peppers are cut into ½ inch strips. Slicing them to the same size will allow them to cook evenly.
½ inch strips should cook in about 8 minutes, and you want to make sure you shake the basket halfway through to ensure all sides crisp up evenly.
The peppers should be fork-tender with a slight char on the outside. When the skin turns black, it gives the peppers a wonderful smokey flavor.
I recommend checking on the peppers after 8 minutes. If they aren’t quite tender yet or don’t have any char, give them another minute or so.
Tips for Making the Best Peppers in the Air Fryer
- Slice the bell pepper as evenly as possible. You want to cut each one into a ½ inch strip so they all cook at the same speed.
- Lay the peppers in as close to a single layer as possible. Some overlap is okay as long as you shake the basket at the halfway mark.
- Cook the peppers until the skin starts to blacken in places. This will give the peppers a rich and smokey flavor!
What Kind of Peppers Can You Air Fry?
Any kind of bell pepper works for this recipe! In fact, did you know that green bell peppers are just unripe peppers?
Yellow and red peppers have a sweeter flavor simply because they’ve been able to ripen for longer.
Feel free to use whichever color bell pepper you prefer. I like to use a combination for a nice variety of flavors and colors!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Bell Peppers
- Carne Asada Quesadilla
- Cheesy Taco Lasagna
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- Leftover Steak Fajitas
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
Can You Store Air Fried Bell Peppers?
You bet! Allow them to cool fully, then transfer them to an airtight container. They’ll stay fresh in the refrigerator for about a week. You can enjoy them hot or cold!
How to Reheat Peppers in the Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Lay the leftover bell pepper slices in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Shishito Peppers
- Air Fryer Tomatoes
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Mexican Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Sauteed Onions in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Bacon Jalapenos
- Air Fryer Italian Sausages with Peppers and Onions
- 3 bell peppers, washed and sliced into ½” strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F.
- In a large bowl, toss the peppers with the oil, salt, and garlic powder.
- Transfer the peppers to the preheated air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
How to reheat peppers:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
2. Add bell peppers to the basket and cook for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.