Crispy, crunchy, and homemade, these air fryer tortilla chips will take your Mexican-inspired meals to the next level. Because they’re made with the air fryer, there is next to no oil needed!
We’re huge fans of Mexican food in my house. We look forward to Taco Tuesday every week, and will often enjoy chips and salsa as a yummy appetizer! Like most, I used to buy my tortilla chips at the supermarket. That was before I discovered just how easy it is to whip up a homemade version in my air fryer!
All you’ll need is 3 ingredients and your air fryer to pull these off. They come together in less than 10 minutes and the results are crunchy, crispy, and fresh. Plus, because you’re using your air fryer instead of a deep fryer, you don’t have to worry about cleanup, and they are practically oil free.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make tortilla chips in the air fryer, as well as the minimal ingredients you’ll need to make them.
- The best tips on how to make crispy homemade tortilla chips in the air fryer.
- Flavor variations for your air fryer corn tortilla chips, and the ingredients to make them yourselves.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make tortilla chips in the air fryer, you’ve come to the right place! Below you’ll find step-by-step instructions and more.
How to make Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Make sure to preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes before you get started.
STEP TWO: Spray both sides of each tortilla with oil (I love using my EVO Oil Mister) and sprinkle on a bit of salt. Cut the tortillas into evenly shaped triangles. You should be able to get 6-8 chips from each tortilla.
STEP THREE: Place the tortilla triangles in a single layer in your air fryer basket (make sure not to crowd it) and cook for 3 minutes. Then, open your air fryer and flip the chips over so that the other side can air fry for another 1-2 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they turn crispy and golden brown!
STEP FOUR: Repeat the same steps above for any additional tortillas. Remove from the air fryer and serve immediately with the dipping sauce of your choice!
Flavor Variations for Tortilla Chips in the Air Fryer
Get creative with your air fryer tortilla chips! You can add in these additional seasonings after you’ve sprayed the corn tortillas with oil.
- Cinnamon tortilla chips with cinnamon sugar
- Cilantro and lime
- Chili powder and lime
- Taco seasoning
- Cayenne pepper
- Curry, garlic, and onion powder
What to Serve with Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
Create a Mexican-inspired feast to serve alongside your homemade tortilla chips in the air fryer! Here are some dipping sauce suggestions, as well as some other dishes to pair with them:
- Avocado lime crema
- Smoky Red Pepper Crema
- Mango Habanero Salsa
- Air fryer nachos (sub in your air fryer tortilla chips!)
- Leftover steak fajitas
- Instant Pot chicken taco bowls
- Air fryer frozen taquitos
- Buffalo chicken dip
Tips For Extra Crispy Air Fryer Corn Tortilla Chips
Below are some helpful tips to get the crispiest air fryer corn tortilla chips every time:
- Respect the air fryer cook temperature — too warm and they will burn.
- Don’t skip on the oil! A light spritz should be enough.
- Make sure to let the chips cook for at least 5 minutes.
- Don’t be afraid to let the chips air fry for a bit longer if needed.
Can I Use Flour Tortillas Instead?
Absolutely! That said, most tortilla chip recipes that call for flour tortillas are baked instead of air fried. If you do try to air fry flour tortillas instead of corn, keep in mind that they may not be as crispy as you’d like.
Are Homemade Tortilla Chips Keto?
For all of you who are following a keto diet, unfortunately, this homemade tortilla chips in the air fryer recipe is not keto-friendly. This is because corn tortillas are made with cornflour, which is not a part of the keto diet. Corn tortillas are not low carb.
How to Store Leftover Homemade Tortilla Chips
You can store any leftover homemade tortilla chips in an airtight container. Try to keep them in a cool and dry place, like your pantry or cabinet for best results. They will keep for a little over a week.
How to Reheat Tortilla Chips in the Air Fryer
Reheating your tortilla chips is a great way to give them new life! To heat up in your air fryer, lightly spray any leftover chips with a bit of oil. Air fry for 2-3 minutes at 350 degrees F until they are warmed and crispy.
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Air Fryer Popcorn
- Flautas in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Skirt Steak (Carne Asada)
- Thick Pork Chops in the Air Fryer (Chili Lime Flavor)
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Avocado or olive oil spray
- ¼-½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spray both sides of each tortilla with oil and sprinkle with salt. Use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the tortillas into triangles (you should get 6-8 chips per tortilla).
- Place the triangles in a single layer in the air fryer basket and air fry for 3 minutes. Open the basket and flip the chips, the cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until they’re crispy and golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas until all are cooked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 501mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 10gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.