Complete with hearty vegetables, my sirloin tip roast Crock pot recipe is a full, flavorful meal that requires almost zero prep. Just toss everything in and let the slow cooker work its magic!
When it comes to preparing an easy yet super satisfying meal, it doesn’t get much easier than this recipe for sirloin tip roast in a crock pot.
Designed with busy cooks in mind, I made sure to keep the ingredients and instructions as simple as possible without sacrificing one bit of flavor.
My secret? I make this crock pot sirloin tip roast with onion soup mix. It adds an intense burst of savory, aromatic flavor – all in one convenient packet.
No marinating, searing, or chopping required. Just combine, set, and forget. It’s that easy!
Sirloin Tip Roast Crock Pot Ingredients
- Sirloin Tip Roast
- Baby Potatoes
- Baby Carrots
- Yellow Onion – sliced
- Garlic Cloves – minced
- Onion Soup Mix
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Beef Stock
- Cornstarch – optional
- Salt and Pepper
What is sirloin tip roast?
A sirloin tip roast is a boneless cut of beef taken from the top, round part of the sirloin near the hip. Usually weighing around 2-3 pounds, it’s leaner than many cuts but makes up for it with its robust flavor.
Since it is so lean, cooking beef sirloin tip roast in the crock pot is the best way to highlight the rich flavor and get tender, fall-apart meat every time.
When shopping, be sure not to confuse sirloin tip roast with top sirloin roast, which is a different cut altogether.
Is sirloin tip roast the same as tri-tip?
No, sirloin tip roast is not the same as tri-tip.
Sirloin tip roast comes from the round sirloin tip, located at the top of the sirloin primal. It is lean, has an oblong shape, and is best when cooked low and slow.
Tri tip, on the other hand, is a smaller, triangular-sized cut from the bottom of the sirloin. With more marbling than sirloin tip roast, tri-tip is good for grilling, roasting, smoking, and more.
If you have tri tip, make my Crock Pot tritip recipe instead.
How to Make Crock Pot Roast Sirloin Tip
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Remove the twine from the beef sirloin tip roast and season all over with salt and pepper.
STEP TWO: Wash the baby potatoes and place them in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the washed carrots, minced garlic, and onion slices.
STEP THREE: Place the beef sirloin tip roast in the crock pot and position it carefully. Sprinkle the onion soup mix over the meat, followed by the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock.
STEP FOUR: Cover the Crockpot with a lid and set a timer. On the high setting, you’ll want to shoot for 4-6 hours. On low, cooking time will be between 8-10 hours.
STEP FIVE: After the roast is fully cooked, transfer it from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Shred the meat using two forks or use a knife to slice against the grain.
STEP SIX: (Optional) If desired, you can use a simple cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. To do this, combine 2 tablespoons of water with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and stir until you get a smooth paste. Stir the slurry into the cooking liquid during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
STEP SEVEN: Season your crock pot sirloin tip roast with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with potatoes, carrots, and onions!
What is the best potato for slow cooker sirloin tip roast?
When making sirloin tip roast in the slow cooker, choose thin-skinned, waxy potatoes like Yukon gold or red potatoes. They are the best at holding their shape and maintaining their texture.
If available, new or baby potatoes are even better since they can join the sirloin tip roast in the crock pot with their skins fully intact.
Avoid thick-skinned, starchy varieties like russets when slow cooking, as they tend to fall apart after a while.
Crock Pot Roast Sirloin Tip Variations
- Switch up the spices: Add some heat with cayenne, cumin, or paprika.
- Add some vegetables: Try celery or mushrooms for extra flavor.
- Toss in some herbs: Sprigs of rosemary or thyme will add flavor and can be removed before serving. Bay leaves would be welcome, too!
How long does it take to cook sirloin tip roast in the slow cooker?
The time it takes to cook sirloin tip roast in the crock pot depends on the size of your meat and the temperature setting of your slow cooker.
Generally, a 2-3 pound roast will take 8-10 hours to cook on the low setting or 4-6 hours on the high setting.
How do I know when sirloin tip roast in the crock pot is done?
The very best way to make sure your sirloin tip roast is done is to check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer. Here are the general guidelines for the minimum safe temperatures, in order of doneness:
- Medium Rare: 130 – 135 degrees F
- Medium: 140 – 145 degrees F
- Medium Well: 150 – 155 degrees F
- Well Done: 160 degrees F and above
What goes well with beef sirloin tip roast?
Complete with a hearty serving of veggies; this crock pot roast sirloin tip recipe is perfectly served as is.
Sirloin tip roast also pairs great with a garden salad and cheesy garlic bread for soaking up the meaty juices.
How should I store leftover sirloin tip roast?
Store leftover sirloin tip roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3-4 days.
Reheat the beef in the oven or air fry with some reserved cooking liquid. You can use the microwave in a pinch, but it tends to overcook the meat and dry it out.
- 2-3 pound sirloin tip roast
- 1 1/2-pound bag of baby potatoes
- 2 cups baby carrots, washed
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 packet (1 ounce) onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Start by removing the twine from the sirloin tip roast and then generously season it with salt and pepper.
- Place washed baby potatoes at the bottom of the crockpot. Add in the washed baby carrots, sliced onions, and minced garlic.
- Carefully place the seasoned sirloin roast into the crockpot and then sprinkle the onion soup mix over it. Pour in the Worcestershire sauce and beef stock as well.
- Cover the crockpot and cook it for a cooking time of about 4-6 hours on the high setting and 8-10 hours on the low setting.
- Once cooked, remove the tip roast from the crockpot, place it on a cutting board, and either slice the meat against the grain or use two forks to shred it.
- Serve the delicious meat alongside the cooked potatoes, onions, and tender carrots.
- A 2.38 lb roast was used in this recipe.
- Cook this sirloin 4-6 hours on the high setting and 8-10 hours on low.
- If you'd like to make a thickened sauce, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl until it's smooth. Stir this mixture into the cooking liquid during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 604Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 63g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.