You won’t believe how easy it is to make this 4 ingredient banana bread! Boxed cake mix paired with bananas, eggs, and instant pudding creates a sweet, moist, and tasty result.
Banana bread is one breakfast and snack food that I love to have around the house. It’s also one of my favorite ways to use overripe bananas. I enjoy mine warm with a bit of butter. If you have a real sweet tooth, it’s also delicious with a scoop of ice cream as dessert!
This recipe checks all the boxes for me. It avoids food waste, has minimal ingredients, and takes practically no time to prepare. Adding bananas to yellow cake mix is one cooking hack that makes preparing banana bread easier than ever.
This 4 ingredient recipe only takes about 5 minutes to throw together. Then it’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the warm aroma of bananas and vanilla as it fills your kitchen and home!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All of the ingredients you need to make this easy banana bread recipe
- Suggestions for how to turn this into a 5 ingredient banana bread (with chocolate chips or nuts)
- Tips for making banana bread with yellow cake mix, as well as substitutions for the yellow cake mix if you want to switch things up!
My recipe for banana bread with cake mix and pudding is easy-as-pie (bread?), and there are plenty of add-ons possible! Grab your aprons and let’s head to the kitchen.
How to Make 4 Ingredient Banana Bread
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and gather your ingredients. Make sure you mash your bananas well!
STEP TWO: Add the vanilla pudding, mashed bananas, and eggs into a bowl. Mix well to combine, then add in the yellow cake mix and mix until blended. Don’t over mix! This can cause the middle of your bread to sink in. If you’re using extras like chocolate chips or nuts, add those in too. Now your banana bread with cake mix and pudding is ready to bake.
STEP THREE: Grease a 9×5 loaf pan and add the batter. Place in the oven and cook for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let your banana bread cool for at least 10 minutes and remove it from the pan. Enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- Use overripe bananas — this will ensure that your 4 ingredient banana bread actually tastes like bananas! The fruit will be soft, almost mushy, and the peel will be covered in brown freckles. The riper they are, the stronger (and sweeter!) the flavor.
- If you don’t have a mixer, simply use a fork!
- Transform this cake mix banana bread recipe into banana muffins if you don’t have a loaf pan.
- You’ll know your cake is done when the top becomes caramelized and turns golden brown.
Substitutions For the Yellow Cake Mix
Remember that you can make this a 5 ingredient banana bread (with chocolate chips or nuts)! Don’t stop there – you can also change up the cake mix that you use. Here are some suggestions:
- Spice cake mix
- White cake mix
- Chocolate cake mix
- Devil’s Food cake mix
- …or your favorite cake!
Why Should I Use Overripe Bananas to Make Banana Bread?
You should use overripe bananas in this banana bread with yellow cake mix recipe because they have a stronger banana taste than ones that are just ripened.
Overripe bananas also tend to be sweeter, and it’s a great way to avoid food waste. Overripe bananas may not be as enjoyable on their own as a snack, but they shine in banana bread!
Is It Okay to Use Frozen Bananas For Banana Bread?
Yes, you can use frozen bananas for banana bread. Some chefs swear that this method yields moist results! They are also easier to mix into your batter.
If you have overripe bananas but don’t have the time to whip up this easy banana bread recipe, throw them in the freezer for a rainy day! Leave them whole or store them peeled or mashed in a freezer-safe storage bag.
What Can I Add Into Cake Mix Banana Bread?
In addition to adding bananas to yellow cake mix, there are plenty of other options! I love including chocolate chips, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, peanut butter, orange zest, or even dried fruit. Still try to keep it to 5 ingredients total so the banana flavor can come through.
For a fall treat, make it a pumpkin cake mix banana bread by adding bananas to our delicious pumpkin flavored bread!
How to Store This 4 Ingredient Banana Bread
Don’t put your 4 ingredient banana bread in the refrigerator — it will dry out. Keep it in an airtight container or cover a plate with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Store your banana bread on your counter for up to 4 days.
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Brownie Recipe Without Cocoa Powder
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Banana Foster Pancakes
- 3 Ingredient Banana Pudding (and our Banana Pudding with Sour Cream)
- Cool Whip Fruit Dip
- Hershey Kiss Cookies
- Easy Zucchini Bread
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Frosting
- Oreo Balls Without Cream Cheese
- Snickerdoodle Recipe Without Cream of Tartar
- 1 box Jell-O vanilla instant pudding (3.4 oz)
- 4 bananas (medium and over ripened)
- 3 eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix (15.25 oz, Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake Mix)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the vanilla pudding, mashed bananas, and eggs into a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add in the yellow cake mix and mix until just blended. Mix in the chocolate chips if using.
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and add the banana bread batter into the pan.
- Place in the oven and cook for 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let bread cool for at least 10 minutes then remove from the loaf pan.
Overmixing the batter will cause the middle to sink in more.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 371mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 5g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.