This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
This strawberry shortcake crumble recipe is made with a fluffy shortcake, a fruity strawberry crunch topping, and a whole lot of cream cheese frosting. It’s a unique dessert to try now!
I love finding new dessert recipes to try at home. There is something to be said for classics like cookies, banana bread, and brownies, but it’s also nice to switch it up at times. Enter this strawberry shortcake crumble recipe! It’s a unique take on cheesecake, coffee cake, and shortcake all wrapped up into one delicious sweet treat.
You start with a traditional (and easy) shortcake recipe, then you add cream cheese frosting (or icing). Top it all off with a really special crunch topping made with golden Oreos and a few other ingredients. You’ve got yourself one of the most delectable desserts I’ve ever seen — or tasted!
My strawberry crumble recipe requires about 20 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes to bake, plus cooling time. It’s the perfect addition to any dessert table, or you can make it for your family to enjoy at home. Whether you make it for a special occasion or simply for fun, keep reading to discover how to make strawberry shortcake crumble!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- All of the ingredients you’ll need for my strawberry crumble recipe, plus tips on how to prepare the strawberry crunch topping with Oreos
- How to make strawberry shortcake crumble in just over 1 hour at home
- Storage suggestions, plus answers to other commonly asked questions about strawberry shortcake crunch cake
This is one dessert recipe you’re going to want to bookmark when you see how nicely it turns out! Let’s get into the specifics.
How to Make Strawberry Shortcake Crumble
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and grease a 9×13 dish with your preferred cooking spray. Now, prepare your shortcake. Melt the butter and set it aside so that it can cool. Whisk your eggs, then add the butter and the rest of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl. You want the batter to be thick and a little bit sticky! Pour it into the dish and smooth so that it’s level. Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
STEP TWO: While your shortcake cooks, prepare your strawberry crunch topping. Place the Oreos in a Ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crumble them into coarse pieces. Ideally, you want a mixture of very small crumbles and some larger chunks. Place in a medium bowl and pour melted butter a little at a time, making sure to stir between pours. Follow the same process with the gelatin powder. Make sure that the Oreos are completely covered with both!
STEP THREE: Allow the shortcake to cool for 1 hour. Then, spread the cream cheese frosting on top of the cake. Add the strawberry crunch topping along with sliced strawberries (optional, but I love the addition of fresh fruit!). Cut and enjoy!
What is Strawberry Shortcake Crumble Made Out Of?
My strawberry shortcake crumbles are made with strawberry jello, golden Oreos, and melted butter. It’s no-bake (the topping), and with Oreos — you know you can’t go wrong! While you wait for your shortcake to bake, you’ll have plenty of time to create your crunch topping. It’s a quick and easy add-on that makes for the best crumble crunch cake ever!
What Kind of Cake is Strawberry Shortcake Made Of?
Strawberry shortcake is made with vanilla cake. Traditional recipes call for layers of light and fluffy cake paired with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. My strawberry shortcake crunch cake version is served with cream cheese frosting and a strawberry crunch topping. My recipe is a one-of-a-kind take on a very classic dessert!
Is Shortcake the Same as Pound Cake?
Pound cake gets its name from its ingredients. Traditionally it was made with a pound of flour, sugar, butter, and eggs, respectively. Today, the proportions aren’t always the same but the ingredients remain as is. A shortcake is a vanilla cake served with fruit and whipped cream. The two are similar in texture and flavor, but the biggest difference is their ingredients!
How to Store Strawberry Crunch Topping
If you find yourself with some extra strawberry crumble topping, place it in an airtight container after it has completely cooled. It will keep for about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. You can also store the strawberry shortcake crunch cake itself in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Other Dessert Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cool Whip Fruit Dip
- Strawberry Shortbread Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- 5 Ingredient No Bake Cheesecake
- Hershey Kiss Cookies Without Peanut Butter
- Snowball Cookies Without Nuts
- Easy Snickerdoodle Recipe
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups Bisquick
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 container of store-bought cream cheese frosting (or homemade)
- 18-20 golden Oreos
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3oz box of strawberry gelatin powder (strawberry Jell-O)
- Sliced strawberries (for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Then spray a 9x13 dish and set aside.
- Prepare your shortcake. Melt your butter and let it cool slightly. Whisk your eggs and set aside. Add all of the other cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl. The batter will be thick and slightly sticky.
- Pour the batter into your prepared dish and smooth it out, making it level in the dish. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes till the top is golden brown.
- While the cake is cooking, prepare your topping. Place your Oreos in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to coarsely crumble them into a mix of crumbs and chunks. Pour them into a medium bowl. Melt your butter and pour it over the Oreos, a little at a time, stirring in between pours. You want to make sure all of your Oreos are covered. Do the same with the gelatin powder. Pour a little and then stir to get an even coating.
- Once your shortbread is out of the oven, allow it to cool completely. Then spread your cream cheese frosting. Top that with the strawberry crumble and, if you would like, sliced strawberries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 73mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.