This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Are you looking for a filling side dish to serve at dinner tonight? Try my green bean casserole with cream cheese! Made with crisp green beans and a creamy sauce, it’s divine!
I’m a big fan of casseroles — most of the time, you just need to dump all of the ingredients into a baking dish and watch as the magic happens. A few of my favorites include sausage green bean potato casserole, corn casserole without sour cream, green bean tater tot casserole, and 5 ingredient squash casserole.
This recipe for cream cheese green bean casserole is about to become one of your go-to’s too. Made with green beans, sour cream, and Philadelphia cream cheese, it’s topped with a layer of Ritz crackers and bacon.
As a twist, there are no cream of chicken and cheese ingredients that a lot of recipes call for. I’m leaving out the fried onions, too, to make this a green bean casserole without fried onions.
If you can’t go without this traditional topping, I encourage you to check out this version of green bean casserole — also made with no soup.
Serve it as a hearty side dish, or eat a plate on its own for lunch. No matter when or how you enjoy it, you’re going to love this green bean casserole with cheese and sour cream!
How to Make Green Bean Casserole with Cream Cheese
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 3 minutes, or until they turn bright green but are still crisp.
STEP TWO: While the oven heats up and the beans cook, add the cream cheese and sour cream to a large bowl and mash them together. Stir in the milk, garlic powder, and salt until combined — it’s okay if there are lumps remaining, as they will melt as the green bean casserole with sour cream bakes!
STEP THREE: Add the beans and cream cheese mixture to a 9×13-inch pan and mix so that the beans are coated in the sauce. Combine the Ritz crackers with the butter and sprinkle the topping evenly on top.
STEP FOUR: Bake your cream cheese green bean casserole for 20 minutes, then add the crumbled bacon on top — remember, this is a recipe for green bean casserole without fried onions. Bake for 10 more minutes or until it becomes golden and bubbly. Serve it while it’s hot!
What to Serve With Green Bean Casserole With Sour Cream
- 4 Ingredient Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes in the Air Fryer
- Baked Split Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer Ribeye Steak
Variations for Green Bean Casserole With Cheese and Sour Cream
- Add more vegetables like carrots, potatoes, or even zucchini.
- Sprinkle the top of this green bean casserole without fried onions with a bit of cheddar cheese for even cheesier results — you won’t miss the fried onions one bit.
- You could also use more varieties of cheese like gorgonzola, Colby Jack, or some Velveeta sauce to make this green bean casserole with cream cheese a cheese lover’s dream.
- Skip the bacon if you’re vegetarian!
What is the Best Way to Thicken Green Bean Casserole?
If you find that the sauce in your green bean casserole with sour cream isn’t thick enough, I suggest making a slurry of flour or cornstarch with water.
Stir it in with the rest of the ingredients until you get the consistency you’re after.
Is it Better to Use Frozen or Canned Green Beans for Green Bean Casserole?
I personally prefer to use fresh green beans. That said, if I had to choose between frozen or canned varieties, I would choose frozen. You can add them to the baking dish without thawing.
Canned green beans contain a lot of excess moisture, which will make your green bean casserole with cheese and sour cream go soggy.
Can I Substitute Heavy Cream for Milk in Green Bean Casserole?
Absolutely! You can use milk, heavy cream, or even half and half in this green bean casserole with cream cheese recipe if desired.
Should I Make Green Bean Casserole the Night Before?
You can! My cream cheese green bean casserole is a wonderful make-ahead dish. I would avoid freezing and reheating it as the sauce may break down and go watery.
Other Casserole Recipes You’ll Love:
- 5-Ingredient Hash Brown Casserole
- Ritz Cracker Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Tater Tot Casserole With No Meat
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole With Pineapple
- Brioche French Toast Casserole
Green Bean Casserole with Cream Cheese
Green Bean Casserole with Cream Cheese is full of crisp green beans, cream cheese and sour cream! Topped with Ritz crackers and bacon.
- 2 lbs green beans, washed
- 8 oz. brick cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crushed ritz crackers
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the beans and cook 3 minutes, or until bright green but still crisp
- Meanwhile, mash together the cream cheese with the sour cream, then stir in milk, garlic powder and salt until combined (some lumps are okay because they will melt in the oven)
- Add the beans, cream cheese mixture,to a 9x13” pan and mix to coat the beans in the sauce
- Mix together the ritz crackers and the butter, then sprinkle evenly over the top of the casserole
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then add the crumbled bacon to the top and bake again for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden and bubbly
- Serve immediately
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 673mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 11g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.