Looking for a healthy salad topper or crunchy snack? Air fryer chickpeas are delightfully crispy with a wonderful, smoky flavor. Best of all, they’re ready in 20 minutes!
Wondering what to do with that can of chickpeas hanging out in the back of your pantry? Turn them into absolute magic by making air fryer chickpeas!
If you’ve never had crispy chickpeas before, you won’t believe just how amazing they are until you try them!
The texture is irresistibly crunchy, and the simple seasoning blend adds just the right flavor. Best of all, they’re ready in only 20 minutes!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The easiest way to make crispy chickpeas in the air fryer
- Tips for making the most delicious chickpeas
- What to serve with these crunchy little bites
- How to store air fried chickpeas, so they stay crispy
Whether you’re looking for a healthy salad topper that still adds a little bit of crunch, or you’re just sick of seeing that lone can in the back of the pantry, you’re going to love this recipe.
It’s so easy to throw together, and even the little ones won’t be able to resist the chickpeas’ crunchy goodness!
I made this recipe using the 5.7 QT Instant Pot Air Fryer. Its square basket makes it the perfect size for our family of 4.
How to Make Air Fryer Chickpeas
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and oregano until evenly coated.
STEP TWO: Transfer the seasoned chickpeas to the air fryer basket in as close to an even layer as possible.
STEP THREE: Air fry at 380 degrees F for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through, until fully crispy.
STEP FOUR: Allow to cool slightly before serving.
What’s the Difference Between Chickpeas and Garbanzo Beans?
There isn’t one! Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing. Chickpeas is the more common English name, while garbanzo beans is the Spanish name. It’s all semantics!
So if you’ve been looking for a recipe for air fryer garbanzo beans, look no further! You’re in the right spot.
Tips for Making the Best Roasted Chickpeas in the Air Fryer
- Dry the chickpeas with a paper towel or clean dishcloth before tossing them with the oil and seasoning. Dry chickpeas will absorb the oil better and get crispier in the air fryer.
- Try to keep the chickpeas in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Overlap is fine, but the more spread out they are, the better the hot air will be able to circulate around them.
- You can eat the chickpeas straight from the air fryer, but keep in mind that they will actually crisp up even more as they cool. If you can let them rest for a few minutes after cooking, they’ll be even better!
What to Serve with Air Fried Chickpeas
Hands down, one of my favorite ways to use this recipe is as a salad topper. Roasted chickpeas give me the same satisfying crunch as croutons, but they pack in way more fiber and nutrients.
That’s a win-win in my book!
These would also be amazing in a nice wrap or sandwich. Chickpeas are a good source of plant-based protein, so you can pair them with all your favorite veggies for a healthy vegetarian meal.
I’ve also been known to eat these exactly as they are. They’re so good, I love them as a crunchy snack! Pro tip: put however many you want in their own bowl.
Otherwise, you might look down and realize you accidentally ate the whole batch!
Can You Add Other Seasonings to Air Fryer Chickpeas?
Absolutely! This simple seasoning blend of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and oregano adds a nice pop of spice, but you can easily dial up the flavor if you prefer.
- Cayenne Pepper — Craving some heat? Cayenne is a great way to add a kick to air fried chickpeas.
- Curry — For a totally different flavor profile, try adding some curry to the spice mix. Serve with some naan for a delicious Indian-inspired snack or meal.
On their own, chickpeas have a pretty mild flavor that lends itself well to plenty of seasonings. So feel free to experiment with your own blend to find your favorite!
How to Store Air Fried Chickpeas
To keep the chickpeas crispy, I recommend storing them in an open container or bowl for up to 3 days.
If you’re anything like me, you might find yourself grabbing a handful every time you pass through the kitchen!
Other Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love:
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with the oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and oregano until evenly coated.
- Air fry at 380 F for 15 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Allow to cool and store in an open container/bowl for up to 3 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.