This 3 ingredient pie crust is made with flour, salted butter, and a bit of ice water. It’s proof that you don’t need a lot to get perfectly flaky and buttery results!
I would never judge you for picking up a pre-made pie crust — there are some great brands out there with some great products to choose from.
But, what if I told you making a homemade crust isn’t that difficult, and doesn’t require many ingredients?
If I were you, I’d want to try it out right away! That’s why I wanted to share this 3 ingredient pie crust recipe with you today.
It only takes 5 minutes to prep, and the results are wonderful.
If you thought making pie crust yourself would be a pain in the neck, this recipe will soothe all of your worries — it even uses simple pantry ingredients to boot.
If you have flour and salted butter at home, you can make this 3 ingredient pie crust right away.
All you’ll need to add is ice water, and you’ll have the flaky and buttery pie crust of your dreams before you know it!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- The simple pantry ingredients you’ll need for 3 ingredient pie crust.
- How to use a food processor to get the perfect pie crust consistency — and how to make this recipe if you don’t have one at home.
- How to par-bake your crust before adding your favorite fillings.
If you want to make a pie completely from scratch, you need to start with a quality homemade pie crust!
It’s totally worth it in the end, and won’t take as much time and effort as you may think.
How To Make 3 Ingredient Pie Crust
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Add the flour and cubed butter to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the butter breaks down into pea-sized pieces. It should take about 10-12 pulses.
STEP TWO: Drizzle in the water as you pulse, but be careful not to get any ice into the batter. The dough should begin to come together in large clumps — if it doesn’t, add another tablespoon of ice water.
STEP THREE: Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it into a ball. Roll the 3 ingredient pie crust out to ⅛-inch thick, then place it in an 8-9-inch deep pie pan.
STEP FOUR: To par-bake the crust, poke small holes into the bottom using a fork, then place it in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
Cover the inside with parchment paper and add pie weights or dried beans, then bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Remove the weights or beans and bake for another 22-25 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to let it cool completely before adding your filling of choice.
What Is Homemade Pie Crust Made Of?
Most homemade pie crusts come together with simple ingredients: flour, butter, salt, water, and sometimes sugar.
I use salted butter to make this a truly 3 ingredient pie crust recipe. I like to leave out the sugar too as I also enjoy making savory pies!
I find that many sweet pie fillings are made with plenty of sugar anyways, so I don’t see a need to add it.
Is Pie Crust Better With Butter Or Crisco?
Crisco is a brand of shortening, which can help the crust hold its shape. That said, I’m a huge fan of using salted butter.
It will give you flaky and sturdy results on its own, and I tend to prefer it over shortening!
I recommend that you stick with butter if you want to make an easy 3 ingredient pie crust recipe.
Do Pie Crusts Need Eggs?
No, pie crusts typically don’t need eggs. That’s why this 3 ingredient pie crust recipe works so well!
You may consider adding an egg wash to the top of the crust to add color and shine, but it’s not necessary.
Is It Better To Use Milk Or Water In Pie Crust?
I find that there is plenty of added fat from the salted butter, but if you want to make a really rich homemade pie crust, you could replace the ice water with ice-cold milk. It’s all about preference!
Other Pie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie with Condensed Milk
- Pumpkin Pie Recipe With No Evaporated Milk
- Peach Pie with Canned Peaches
- 3 Ingredient No Bake Cheesecake
- Pecan Pie Without Corn Syrup
- Jello Lemon Meringue Pie
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie Twists
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick (½ cup) salted butter, very cold and cut into small cubes
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- Place the flour and cubed butter in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the butter is the size of peas– about 10-12 pulses.
- While pulsing the food processor, slowly drizzle in the water– but make sure not to get any ice in the crust!
- The dough should begin to come together into large clumps. If it doesn’t, add another tablespoon of water.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it into a ball.
- Roll the crust out to ⅛” thick and use it in a 9” standard or 8” deep dish pie pan.
- To bake, follow your recipe as written.
To par-bake this crust:
- Poke the bottom of the crust a few times with a fork and then place it in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes while you preheat your oven.
- When the crust has chilled, cover the inside with parchment and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Then carefully remove the pie weights (be careful– they’re hot) and return the uncovered pie to the oven. Bake for another 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely before using.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 98Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.