This zucchini bread with applesauce is divinely inspired! This easy classic recipe is moist, decadent, and a cleverly delicious way to have your vegetables.
This deceptively easy zucchini bread recipe is a blissful combination of flavors and textures. As a bonus, your entire house will smell spectacular.
The butter and eggs add a richness to the recipe while the earthy brown sugar, spicy cinnamon, and vanilla add an irresistible warmth, depth, and sweetness. The end result is a moist zucchini bread that is soft, fluffy, and not too dense.
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- Everything you need to make this amazingly moist zucchini bread
- How to make zucchini bread with applesauce, plus several tasty variations
- Tips on making the best possible zucchini bread recipe
I’m so excited to teach you how to make this easy zucchini bread. This delightful recipe is going to amaze you!
How to Make Zucchini Bread
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare an 8×4 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
STEP TWO: Place melted butter and light brown sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add in egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
STEP THREE: In a small, separate bowl, use your whisk to blend together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
STEP FOUR: Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients, mixing gently until there are no large lumps of flour left. Do not overmix.
STEP FIVE: Remove excess moisture from shredded zucchini by wrapping in paper towels or a lint-free dish towel and gently squeezing. Being sure not to overmix, add the zucchini to the batter and lightly mix.
STEP SIX: Pour your batter into your prepared loaf pan and transfer to the oven. Bake loaf for 50 to 55 minutes. Your zucchini bread is ready when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
STEP SEVEN: Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
STEP EIGHT: Slice zucchini bread, serve, and enjoy. Leftovers will last up to three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Slices can be reheated in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds before enjoying.
Do I Need to Peel Zucchini for Zucchini Bread?
There is no need to peel the zucchini since it melts so nicely into this moist bread. That said, it is perfectly ok if you want to!
Peeled or unpeeled, use the largest shred on a standard box grinder for this recipe.
Can I Make Zucchini Bread Muffins?
Yes! Simply grease or line a muffin tin before dividing the batter into the cups. Cook these little treats for about 20 to 25 minutes, using the same toothpick method to test for doneness.
Similarly, you can make smaller loaves by evenly dividing the batter into 2 mini loaf pans and baking for 30 to 35 minutes. You can also use a 9×5 loaf pan instead, but your loaf will not be quite as tall.
How Do I Make the Best Zucchini Bread?
- Choosing the best available ingredients and avoiding common mistakes will be your best bets for zucchini bread success.
- I highly recommend using fresh, local, and in-season zucchini if it is available. It can take this already divine recipe to the next level!
- Using unsalted butter in baking will give you more control over the flavor of your recipe.
- Choose light brown sugar for an earthier, deeper flavor. If you only have white sugar on hand, you can use that instead.
- Eggs hold the batter together and will incorporate best at room temperature.
- The applesauce adds subtle sweetness and moisture. Choose a plain, unsweetened variety for this recipe.
- Adding a small amount of kosher salt balances the sweetness and enhances the flavor of the zucchini.
Why Is My Zucchini Bread with Applesauce Dense and Dry?
When baking zucchini bread, there are a few critical mistakes to avoid.
First, be sure to use the correct amount of flour by measuring with the spoon and level method. Too much flour will cause your bread to be dry.
To achieve the lightest and fluffiest loaf possible, use both baking soda and baking powder as described in the recipe, and be certain not to overmix.
To avoid overdone edges, remove bread from the pan after 10 to 15 minutes and transfer it to a wire rack. Allow your loaf to completely cool before slicing and devouring.
How Can I Customize Zucchini Bread?
There are a few ways to add a personal spin to this classic recipe:
- Sprinkle the top of the loaf with coarse sugar.
- Add more spices such as nutmeg, ginger, or cardamom.
- Add in nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips. Keep add-ins to one cup or less.
- Serve with your choice of butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, or other spread of your choice.
- Be creative, adventurous, and have fun!
Other Easy Quick Bread Recipes You’ll Love:
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (1 to 2 medium zucchinis)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x4 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and light brown sugar.
- Next add the egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until no large lumps of flour remain — you don’t want to overmix.
- Wrap the shredded zucchini in paper towels (or a lint-free dish towel) and squeeze out any excess moisture. Add the zucchini to the batter and mix just until it is combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the zucchini bread to cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and enjoy. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds before serving.
How to Reheat Zucchini Bread
- Reheat slices of zucchini bread in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds before enjoying.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 217mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.